Tango Foundations course, January - February 2010
- What's it about?
- Who should attend?
- What makes this course special?
- Course outline
- Week 1: Leading and Following
- Week 2: Standing and Walking
- Week 3: Turning
- Week 4: Rotating
- Week 5: Tracks and crosses
- Week 6: Dancing For Real
- Dates / times / cost / location
- How to book
- For more information
- Related articles
- Beginners wishing to start with Tango
- Improvers wishing to revise and develop their technique
- Small class size: I keep the class size small, typically with a maximum of 12 people (6 couples). This allows me to give you individual attention, helping you to progress rapidly, quickly resolving any issues.
- Gender-balanced: I ensure that the course attendees are gender-balanced, so there should be no sitting-out time; all your time will be spent dancing.
- Full class notes: Each week of the course will be fully written-up, with notes available online, to help you remember the topics covered and revisit them at any time in the future. Or if you miss a week, these can help you catch up. In addition, there will be supplementary materials available on my website, which should help explain each concept and step in further detail.
- Practice at Ceroc Berkhamsted afterwards: the Ceroc venue in Berkhamsted runs a weekly Tango Practice session from 7-8pm, which allows you to review and practice the concepts you have learnt in the afternoon classes.
- Tango Walking
- The Tango Embrace
- Leading from the body
- Forwards / back / side steps
- Pivots and Ochos
- Connection / disconnection / reconnection exercises
- Technique for leading / following a step
- Being an attentive follower / sure leader
- Establishing and transferring weight
- Weight transfers
- Forwards / back steps
- Differentiating between a transfer and a step
- Posture and axis
- Forward ochos
- Back ochos
- Embrace (Open, Closed and Practice Hold)
- Varying hold - connecting and re-connecting
- Role reversal
- Giros and half-giros
- Transferring weight without leading a transfer
- 2-, 3- and 4-track walking
- The cross.
- Tempo changes
- Musical interpretation
- Social dancing
- Practice tips
- Ganchos (Hooks)
Course cost: £60 per person, or £110 per couple.
Dates and TimesThe course will run for two hours each Sunday afternoon, from 4pn - 6pm, from mid-January until late February 2010. Dates are:
- January: 17th, 24th, 31st
- February: 7th, 14th, 21st
LocationThe location for this course is the dance studio in the Berkhamsted Fitness First gym, on Berkhamsted High Street (Map).
This dance studio is ideal for learning, as it has air-conditioning, a high-quality sprung wooden floor, a good sound system and a full-length mirror.Send me an email. Let me know if you're booking for yourself, or yourself and a partner. And that's it.
- David Bailey